Thursday

# 60 - 41

60. Fang Island
If I had a psychedelic choir I'd make them sing this.



59. Holy Fuck
Definitely their most chill piece so far. It's like a dying keyboard calling for help.



58. Caribou
Listening to it again makes we want to bump it up the list. "Bring us back together" times infinity. This builds up handsomely.


57. Flying Lotus
One of the few pieces of vinyl I own is a DJ Krush album; this could have come from that.


56. Girl Talk
It's always tough to take a Girl Talk song out of context, that is, out of the album. But the Spacehog "In the Meantime" sample with Fat Joe over it makes it a standalone. 



55. Crystal Castles
I didn't know the original, but the fact that it's actually from 1980 makes the VHS warble warm instead of obnoxious. 


54. Shine 2009
The zen chorus takes you from work to yoga. Try it yuppies.



53. The Books
Listen carefully: I want to tell you a story about hip-hop. Belongs on one of the Mark Farina Mushroom Jazz compilations. Thanks for the tip Devin.


52. Kurupt
After "9X Outta 10" I was craving more dizzying "rare motion." This gets there, at times.



51. Julian Lynch
I think it's a new "Within You Without You."



50. School of Seven Bells
Nice pace, even nicer tambourine/snare combo.



49. Neon Indian
Featuring the vocals a bit more that usual, and so far I like the move.


48. Gold Panda
Gold Panda: Making you want more chipmunk voice, one sample at a time.



47. Sleigh Bells 
Not "officially" a 2010 release, but that's when the album came out and when I heard it, OK? They SMASHED the stage at Coachella.


46. Tiesto feat. Tegan & Sara 
I always knew the Tiesto synth could benefit from a full vocal treatment. A somewhat unlikely pairing that worked out beautifully.


45. The Radio Dept.
Just right. I only got into these guys this year, and they've got a whole discography of washed out awesome.


44. Yeasayer
I guess they make electric steel drums now. It sounds like outdoors and bare feet.



43. Robyn feat. Snoop Dogg
How is this not cheesy? This is what Snoop brings out in Robyn: "Even the C.I.A. knows not to f&@k with me."

42. Star Slinger
Headphones required.



41. Megafaun
Starting from a single chord and ending up back there, this sounded great after a day of hiking.


No comments:

Post a Comment